Tracking My Progress by Inches, Not Miles

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, January 24, 2011

End of Week One - 8 Pounds GONE!

I decided to do an extra day of loading last week, and am glad I did. I started my first VLCD feeling hungry from the get-go. But no headache or crankiness (other than the norm, lol) and it was quite manageable. Day 2 saw us loading up our travel trailer for a short weekend away. I packed adequate protocol foods and even had a plan for when my husband cooked his weekend breakfast for everyone (except me), which includes bacon, eggs and hash browns. With black coffee and my current book in hand, the picnic table offered refuge from the cloying scent of maple cured bacon.

I survived, and came up with a delicious breakfast of my own with fuji apple and spinach, steamed in a sauce of citrus spices and garlic. Even my family, who had been only moments before been blissed out on bacon, said it was tastier than they expected. Okay so it didn't come close to comparing with bacon and eggs, but it was filling, flavorful and I was satisfied. THAT is pretty huge.

It is interesting to find that with every diet I've ever been on, I've been more focused and obsessed with food than when I'm eating "normally". It's really an odd place to be, wanting to lose weight and feel better in my body, yet constantly thinking and planning the next meal.

One would think that with my current state, that I binge constantly or eat junk food all the time, neither of which is true. In fact, our family eats quite a variety of healthy foods, mostly organic including meat, and I am gluten-intolerant so I do not eat wheat, rye, barley, spelt and most oats. I buy gluten-free bread and muffins once a month, and eat those things a few times per week, my daughter being the primary consumer with her daily school lunches. My grains are typically limited to quinoa and brown rice.

Another realization is how often I will finish what my children don't want! "Here mama, I don't want this" followed by a handful of crackers, the last quarter of their fruit or sandwich. I can't even imagine how many calories that adds up to in a week.

I finally got on the scale today for the first time since Friday, which was the beginning of my VLCD. I gained four pounds during loading, and it sure seemed as though I was retaining a fair amount of water. But this morning I had dropped those extra four and another four on top of it! Of course it's wonderful to see the numbers change, but I can also already feel the changes in my body. The difference with hcg being that the abnormal fat stores are releasing and being consumed! Dr Simeons also refers to the very cells themselves being metabolized once devoid of fat, along with the very blood vessels, connective tissue and supportive structures that have housed the adipose stores we so despise.

In case you're wondering, my progress ticker above reflects my pre-loading weight, not including the four extra pounds.

Tomorrow begins Week Two. I'm excited to see where I am next Monday. Be Well!

No comments: