Tracking My Progress by Inches, Not Miles

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Have you lost weight?

Well, yeah. 30 pounds in fact. Thanks for asking.

Actually up until today nobody has mentioned it and I’ve been a bit disappointed. Granted, I’m huge anyway, so what’s 10% of my body weight being gone? Not enough to really show I guess. It was somewhat comical yesterday at work, when my boss walked by and saw my client and I standing there, and she exclaimed, “Wow, you look so thin!” Well, she was talking to my client, not me. lol Then the client said “But my weight’s the same, it hasn’t changed! I’ve lost two inches off my waist though.” She does look great, you can see the changes in her and I know she’s been working hard at changing her diet. But dang it sort of felt like I was invisible!

Isn’t that what fat does? Insulates and makes one invisible even though we’re taking up so much physical space? Provides protection from the words of others, though ironically it makes us more vulnerable to rude comments. The self-soothing that takes place when hurt, tired, lonely, afraid, pissed off, overwhelmed, bored…we’re insulating our metaphorical hearts as well as our bodies. I’m done with that! I’ve been happily married for almost 16 years so it’s not like I’m looking for admirers, but it would sure be nice to be less physically repulsive to people with fattiefobia. ;) I don’t want people to discount my intelligence based on how wide my ass has gotten either. Brain shrinkage doesn’t occur with ass widening, at least it’s not scientifically proven. Yet.

But the clouds parted, the sun shown down and birdies started singing today when ANOTHER client (I’ll call her June) did what she called a “triple take” as I got out of the car. She recognized my car, and the somewhat vaguely familiar woman getting out but she didn’t think it was me! First things she said is “Have you been losing weight?” I could have kissed her! Instead I smiled and replied that “yes, in fact I have lost weight.” I’ve known “June” for several years, and we catch up during her sessions with what our lives have been like since the last visit and what’s coming up before the next time we see each other.

I’m pretty open about who I am and what I think, and so holding back something that is life altering such as this diet is unusual for me. But I told her all about it, explained the various principles that Dr. Simeons based his protocol on and how I’ve planned to progress through the phases. June was very supportive and thought that perhaps a sister might be interested in the process. I look forward to being further changed when I see her next month and celebrating again! Thank you June, for being aware and for mentioning the change in my body. You’re the first. I hope you aren’t the last. ;)

Week three was much easier on me than week two, and for that I'm very relieved! It's amazing to me how my cravings have subsided, although a few nights ago I still had the urge to nosh...seeking comfort...and not feeling 100%. But NO, that will not be my go-to plan! Hot tea with stevia, a well-timed, nicely crunchy apple and I was fine. I am enjoying my food, and mixing it up a bit more with various seasonings. I also made asparagus soup that was DIVINE, garnished with fresh cilantro made it even better.

Last week there was no way I could see anyone going 40 days on Phase Two! This week I can see that if it's working, once you get in a groove it becomes more feasible and may even be easier than doing more rounds. I've got an annual family weekend at the beach coming up, my daughter's birthday and my 16th wedding anniversary all in a week's time at the end of the month. So my plan has been to move to P3 the week before our trip to the beach which will give me more freedom with extra protein and fat (I’m thinking a stevia sweetened, almond crust cheesecake instead of cupcakes and ice cream for myself) and I’ll be able to hang with everyone at the dinner/dessert table in style. I’m also looking forward to a few cocktails. Oh yes, I sure am!

As I mentioned above, I dropped THIRTY POUNDS in 24 days. Aside from week two, which is hard for most people I’ve gathered, I’ve done it without too much pain and suffering. There have been moments, but I keep telling myself that cheating on this food or that beverage is NOT WORTH IT. Hitting the 30-pound mark was definitely something to celebrate.

I haven’t been this weight since before my last pregnancy. It feels GOOD! I will never be model and wear a size 2, my bone and muscle mass is not likely to change that drastically. But I look forward to being a healthy size that feels right for ME, not only confident and proud of who I AM, but also how I look and move through my days. I'm keeping my curves, I just want them a bit fewer and further between.


Curves: The loveliest distance between two points. ~Mae West

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Love your blog. You certainly write from the heart and I feel your words. Congrats on the 30 lb release!

Healthy Weight Revolution said...

Thanks Barbara, nice to know someone connects with what I think and say. It's helped me read the stories, struggles and success of others too...so when my words impact others I'm very pleased.